Tuesday, April 29, 2008

First Post!!

Hey all! My name is Alli and this is my blog about poetry. As weird as an admission this may be- I love poetry. There is just something differenet about writing a poem then a story or skit/play.

Anyway, this blog is going to be devoted to collecting poems to share with others. For now they will be by famous authors but maybe, eventually, I'll get the courage to put up some of my own. So, enjoy the following poem- and please leave a comment letting me know what you thought of it (you hated it, you loved it, you don't get it- anything you feel like)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT by Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3 comments:

Vergilius said...

I never really liked that poem. I understand the urge to demand of our loved ones that they cling to life, but I think that accepting death graciously is something that we should all try to do. Death is a natural part of life, and it cannot be avoided, so fighting it once your time has come is just - I don't know - it offends my sense of decorum.

nicolerocks711 said...

first off it's nicole h.,
second of all in response to verfilius:
it is always better to live life to the fullest and fight death. what are you just going to roll over and die? hell no. it's like that tim mcgraw song "i went skydiving..."

Vergilius said...

If you lived your life to the fullest you wouldn't need to fight death, because you'd be ready to die. And fighting death is pointless. Death is inevitable. There is a certain point where you are going to die and there is nothing you can do to change it, and Thomas's father had reached that point. When your time comes, no amount of pleading, praying, or fighting is going to save you. No one gets out of this life alive. Refusing to accept that fact isn't going to change it, so it just makes you look scared and pathetic if you try to fight it.

Secondly, my sn is "Vergilius," which was my name in Latin class. It's the Latin of "Virgil." "Ver Filius" would mean "Sringtime Son," which I kind of like better.

Anyway, here's the poem I promised to send you:
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15549
If you post it I'll give my analysis as a comment, although I can't really remember everything I said about it when I was in school.